Monday, June 30, 2008

Making meals healthier.

I recently discovered the book Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. I saw her on a few shows promoting her book and decided to give it a try. I really like her concepts; She adds food purees to her dishes. In most cases you cannot even detect that they are there. M's favorite brownie is the one that is made with spinach puree! Here a few of the ideas that I have come up with on my own.

I add sweet potato, carrot, or squash puree to my tomato based dishes like spaghetti, lasagna, meatloaf, chili, and taco soup.

I add cauliflower puree to my alfredo sauce, potato soup and most recently I added it to my white country gravy when I made biscuits and gravy.


This is Jessica's Mac and Cheese
1 1/2 cups elbow pasta
non stick spray
1 T olive oil
1T flour
1/2 c nonfat milk
1/2 cup butternut squash or cauliflower puree
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar (low fat is great)
4 oz non fat cream cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 t paprika

Boil the noodles til al dente (slightly firm)
While the noodles are cooking coat a large sauce pan with the non stick spray and heat over med heat. Add the oil and then the flour, and cook stirring constantly until the mixture resembles a thick paste but has not browned.
Add the milk and cook stirring every now and then until it thickens, about 3-4 minutes. Ass the veggie puree, cheddar, cream cheese, and the seasoning. Stir until cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Add the noodles and serve warm.

Cook noodles for two minutes less than the shortest time on the package. Mix with sauce and freeze. Thaw in fridge and heat in the oven.
Gluten free when made with rice pasta, and rice flour.

No comments: