Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Best Sugar Cookies

I found this recipe in an old church cookbook. I love my sugar cookies thick and moist. This recipe is the best one I have ever made. I made a few changes to the recipe, it is perfection now!

Sugar Cookies
1 1/2 cubes butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup sour cream (I used plain yogurt)
2 tsp vanilla or lemon flavoring
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4-5 cups flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl Cream butter, sugar together. Add eggs and yogurt and mix well. Add dry ingredients one cup at a time. Dough will be soft and moist. I found it easier to work with after chilling in the fridge over night. Roll into teaspoon size balls and then flatten slightly before baking. Bake at 375 for 8-10, until just lightly brown.

Easy Icing
juice and zest of one lemon
1 can of Betty Crocker Fluffy white icing

Mix together and drizzle over cooled cookies.

(We prefer them with no icing at all!)

No comments: